A favorite flavor combination, these vegan chocolate orange energy bites (or energy balls, or bliss balls, or cookie dough balls, or whatever it is you like to call them) are quick and easy to make. It's so nice to have a batch on-hand for those hangry moments. Plus, they're gluten-free, plant-based, vegan, refined sugar-free, and oil-free!
I just have a thing for the combination of chocolate and orange. Adding citrus to chocolate raises the bar. When that tasty combo can be ready for consumption within 10 minutes, I call that success. It's true that, to hold their shape, it's best to chill them first. But nothing is stopping you from grabbing one beforehand; no matter its shape, it will be delicious.
Energy bites are so wonderful because they are easy to make, to grab while running out the door, to pack for lunch or a long bike ride, to get that snack and move on to the next thing. They're filled with yummy flavor, nutrition, and a quick energy boost - all inside a little portable package. They are a crowd-pleaser, generally satisfying all age groups (those under three and over one eating tiny pinches at a time). In short, they are a little round real-food superhero for those moments when we need a boost.
As usual, I recommend doubling the recipe for these energy balls so you have plenty on-hand. These babies disappear fast!
Just seven ingredients are needed to make Vegan Chocolate Orange Energy Bites:
- rolled oats
- medjool dates
- chia seeds
- cacao powder
- orange zest
- orange juice
- vanilla powder (extract may be substituted using ½ the amount, since the flavor of vanilla powder is stronger)
This is an easy one!
- Just add the dry ingredients to a food processor, and when well-combined add the liquid.
- Once it all comes together, wet your hands and form balls by the spoonful. I like to make them around an inch or so in size.
- Place the balls on a baking sheet and chill in the freezer or fridge for at least a half hour. That way, they will hold their shape better as you stack them in a container. Keep the container in the refrigerator or freezer. Remember to make a big batch so they're ready for you when you need a pick-me-up!
Chocolate Orange Energy Bites
- food processor
- 1 cup rolled oats if necessary, make sure the label indicates gluten-free
- 1 cup medjool dates pits removed
- 6 tablespoons chia seeds hemp hearts, or a mix of the two
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 4 teaspoons orange zest from about 1 large or 2 medium oranges
- ½ teaspoon vanilla powder
- 5 tablespoons orange juice from the zested orange
- Add the oats, dates, chia seeds/hemp hearts, cacao powder, zest, and vanilla powder. Pulse until well mixed.
- Add the orange juice and process until a dough ball forms.
- Using a tablespoon, form the dough into 1-inch balls and place them on a freezer-safe tray or plate. It helps to have wet fingers to help keep the dough from sticking to your hands.
- Freeze the energy bites for at least 10 minutes so they don't stick together when stored.
- Place the bites in a container and store in the fridge, while they last.