These oil-free air fryer potato slices, aka potato rounds or coins, are a satisfying replacement for crackers or bread. Use them to scoop up a delicious bean-based dip and some veggies and you've got a full meal in under 30 minutes!
This is a recipe I make often because it's filling yet light, low in calories and fat compared to bread, crackers, or chips. I've leaned hard on those three most of my life, with not the best results. No oil is even needed for these potato rounds, so they're an ideal alternative. I love how quick and easy it is to simply take a big potato, slice it up, and roast it to make these scooper-stacker-style "fries" that make it easy to eat hummus and veggies or pb&j (so good on sweet potato!).
Ingredients & variations
The beauty of this recipe is that you can use any potato you like. Sweet potatoes, yellow, red, purple, russet - any! You can use the same bake time for each and slice the potatoes length- or width-wise. You may find you prefer a certain potato with just a bit more or less time in the air fryer, but generally 18 minutes at 400 works well for all when they're sliced around 18" thick.
Let's make air fryer potato slices
The first step is to clean your potatoes well and remove any dark spots or bumps. You may end up with wonky slices like below, and I'm fine with that, creating less waste. If you're making these for guests and want to make them more uniform, use fresh potatoes with few spots or slice them into uniform squares.
Slice the potatoes about ⅛" thick and place them on the air fryer tray in a single layer.
Air fry for 18 minutes at 400 degrees.
That's it! They'll likely be a bit soft, though nice and brown. If you want them to be crispier, flip them and air fry another 5 minutes or so.
Ways to enjoy these potato slices
There are so many ways to love these round roasted potatoes! Here are a few ways:
- Cover sweet potato slices with a nut butter, jam, and your favorite seeds.
- Make nachos using potatoes in place of tortilla chips.
- Add your favorite spread, then top with a stack of veggies.
- Dip them in your favorite sauce or dip. I love them with the Best Oil-Free Hummus in 5 Minutes recipe.
Potato slices can be kept in the fridge and reheated, or they can even be enjoyed cold!
These recipes go with
Air Fryer Potato Slices Recipe (oil-free)
- air fryer or oven
- 1 lb potatoes sweet potatoes, yellow potatoes, any you'd like
- salt and spices to taste optional
- Wash and dry the potato(es) and remove any dark spots with a knife. With older potatoes, you may need to square off the sides if there are many spots.
- Slice the potato(es) into slices about an ⅛ inch wide. They don't have to be perfect.
- If you don't want to have to wash your air fryer tray, line it with biodegradable parchment or a silicone liner. Place the slices on the tray, making sure they don't touch if possible.
- Air fry for 18 minutes, until golden. If you want them crispier, flip them and air fry another few minutes.
- Serve with hummus or other dips, or top with spreads, veggies, and tofu, tempeh or beans.
Leave a Reply