Here’s a fun one for your next Meatless Monday, Taco Tuesday, Cinco de Mayo (which happens to be next Tuesday!) or really any day of the week. These Mexican Flatbread Pizzas are easy to make and really satisfying without the need for any oil, meat, or dairy. They’re vegan, gluten-free if desired, and made with whole-food ingredients. Kids love having their own personal pizza, parents love that they’re packed with real-food nutrition, and everyone can appreciate that nice comfort-food vibe they bring after a long day. The base is my Easy Potato Flatbread that just involves two basic ingredients: potatoes and flour of your choice. (pictured are purple sweet potato flatbreads, so fun!), and if they’re made ahead of time, dinner can be ready in about 20 minutes. While you can really top the flatbread with anything you like, for these Mexican Flatbread Pizzas I’ve added a layer of black refried beans, my Everyday Vegan Cheese Sauce, shredded cabbage, red onions, cilantro, avocado, plain coconut-based yogurt, lime wedges, and salsa.
Vegan Mexican Flatbread Pizza Recipe
Toppings of choice, such as:
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- ½ avocado or Power Greens Guacamole or Favorite Guacamole
- 1 5.3 oz plain unsweetened coconut yogurt
- ½ cup salsa
- 4 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 lime
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place the flatbreads on a baking sheet (I like to line mine with parchment paper).
- Top each flatbread with an equal amount of refried beans, spreading it around with a spatula as you would tomato sauce on a pizza. Top with vegan cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese looks “melted”.
- Top with remaining ingredients and serve.