A nondairy vegan ice cream with a fruit base that's refined sugar-free, so flavorful, and easy to make! Such a delicious way to use up ripe bananas!
I avoided making ice cream for a long time because it seemed like a lot of fuss. This Strawberry Rhubarb Nice Cream recipe, thankfully, is fuss-free! If you have a high speed blender, you're set. If you don't, try making this recipe by blending bananas that aren't frozen (just nice and ripe) in your regular blender or food processor and freezing it well before serving.
How to make Strawberry Rhubarb Nice Cream
This is a really easy recipe that involves only two main components:
- frozen bananas
- Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
Preparing Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
It does involve preparing Strawberry Rhubarb Compote beforehand, but that, as you can see by the recipe, is also easy to make - and well worth it! I recommend making a big batch of the compote each time strawberries and rhubarb are in season and putting some in the refrigerator to use in a variety of ways (it's fantastic on just about everything), some in the freezer for future enjoyment, and enough set aside to make as much Strawberry Rhubarb Nice Cream as you'd like.
Steps for making this nice cream:
Tip for freezing bananas: Place on a tray that will fit in your freezer, making sure they're not touching, and freeze for at least an hour. Once frozen. place in a freezer-safe container back in the freezer.
- Place the frozen bananas and half the compote into a high speed blender and blend using a tamper until it forms an ice cream consistency.
2. Spread the blended nice cream into a freezer-safe container and pour the remaining compote down the center.
3. With a spatula, fold the compote into the nice cream until it is swirled evenly throughout.
4. For soft serve, serve immediately. For firmer ice cream, place in the freezer for at least an hour to harden.
Tip: If the nice cream has been in the freezer longer than a few hours, place it on the counter for 10 minutes or so to soften.
Strawberry Rhubarb Nice Cream
- high speed blender
- 1 cup Strawberry Rhubarb Compote prepared in advance
- 4 bananas very ripe, large, peeled, and frozen
- If you haven't got frozen bananas in your freezer, place them on a tray that fits your freezer and freeze them for at least an hour. Store them in a freezer-safe container.
- Break up the bananas into 4-6 pieces and place them, along with half of the Strawberry Rhubarb Compote, into the high speed blender. Blend, using the tamper as needed and turning the power up slowly, until an ice cream consistency forms.
- Place the blended nice cream into a freeze-safe container. Pour the remaining compote down the center. Using a spatula or butter knife, fold the compote into the nice cream to create a swirl effect throughout the nice cream.
- Serve immediately if soft serve is desired.
- If you are after a firmer nice cream, freeze for at least an hour to achieve the desired consistency.