A tropical granola that requires no butter or oil to make? Yes, it's possible! Tropical fruit and macadamia nuts are the stars here. And that vibrant pink running through? Pink dragon fruit powder, which is thankfully pretty easy to find these days! This vegan recipe is easy to make while being dairy-free, oil-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and a beautiful part of a whole food plant-based lifestyle.
With banana, macadamia nut, coconut, dragon fruit, and pineapple flavors going on, this is the ultimate tropical granola. I love the way the banana purée infuses the entire batch with a fabulous fruitiness, adding so much more flavor than something like maple syrup would provide. And that sprinkle of dragon fruit just takes it to the next level!
Why you'll love this granola
It's easy to make and only takes about 10 minutes to prep.
No high-fat butter or oil is necessary. We're using a simple banana purée instead.
The recipe makes a big batch - about 12 servings.
It's a delicious granola, with flavors like macadamia, vanilla, pineapple, and nutmeg.
It's really beautiful, with pretty pink running through it!
This granola utilizes whole and minimally processed foods rather than highly processed foods.
This is a very satisfying granola, thanks to oats, nuts and seeds.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Bananas replace the typical butter or oil in this granola. You could try another puréed fruit if you'd like, but I like using bananas because they're readily available and bring more tropical fruit flavor.
The bulk of this recipe is rolled oats, which are filling without being super calorie dense. They are the ideal base! If you are gluten-free, make sure you buy oats that indicate that they are gluten-free and haven't been processed on the same equipment as wheat.
Macadamia nuts are such a treat! If you don't have any, of course you can use a different nut. But macadamias are definitely going to be your best option.
Unsweetened shredded coconut provides a delicious toasty flavor and extra texture.
Hemp seeds bring a delightful pine flavor along with omega 3s. It's ok to omit them, but if you have them they're great in this granola.
Dates of any kind can be used to provide a sweet chewiness. They can be added before or after baking.
Nutmeg is just the right spice to balance all the tropical flavors!
Vanilla is another tropical flavor that is so delicious here.
Salt of your choice can be used - if you're trying to be salt-free, omit it.
Dried or freeze-dried pineapple is fantastic in this granola. It's best to add it right after baking so that it doesn't burn.
Dragon fruit powder provides that beautiful pink swirl and its own fruitiness and nutrients. It also is added after baking.
First, you'll purée the bananas in a food processor or blender and preheat the oven.
Then, place all the ingredients that will be baked in a large bowl, fold the banana purée in, then spread evenly on a lined baking sheet and bake until golden.
Toss the baked granola with the dried pineapple and dragon fruit powder and let cool.
It's ready to serve! Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place for up to a week. I like to use a large jar.
This granola goes beautifully with
Tropical Granola Recipe
- food processor or blender
- large bowl
- baking tray
- silicone tray liner or parchment
- 1 bananas
- 3 cups oats gluten-free if needed
- ½ cup macadamia nuts chopped
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut shredded
- ⅓ cup hemp seeds
- ⅓ cup dates chopped, about four medjool
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ cup dried pineapple bite-sized
- 2 tablespoon dragon fruit powder
- Purée the bananas in a food processor or blender. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine the nuts, coconut, seeds, dried fruit, nutmeg, and salt.
- Fold in the puréed bananas and vanilla until well combined.
- Spread evenly onto a large baking sheet covered in parchment.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring the granola half way through. The granola should be toasted a golden color - add a few minutes if needed.
- Remove the granola from the oven and toss with the dragon fruit powder.
- Let cool completely, then store in a sealed container like a large jar in a cool dry place for up to a week.