No oil required! The air fryer works its magic to make these chickpeas crispy. They're so easy to make, ready within 15 minutes. Gluten-free, vegan, and oil-free and a great source of fiber and protein.
Chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) become like croutons when they crisp up, giving them a wonderful texture. I use this recipe year-round: In the spring and summer, I'm topping salads and dips with them, and in the fall and winter, its soups, pastas, potatoes - they're great on lots of dishes. They also make a nice snack all by themselves.
Beautiful Ingredient Recipes that Pair Well
This recipe couldn't be simpler. It just involves the following ingredients:
- a can of chickpeas (or 1 ½ cups)
- garlic & onion powders
That's it! See recipe card for quantities.
Note: I offer oil-free recipes here to keep the focus on whole foods. That said, if you use oil regularly and want them crispier, just a very small amount of high heat oil is needed to get that effect - just make sure to toss the chickpeas well in the oil prior to air frying.
For a smoky flavor, simply add about ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika. I'm likely to post other versions of this recipe as I discover new favorites. In the meantime, I encourage you to play with your favorite spices to discover the flavor profile you like best.
The air fryer is quick and easy to use, and is designed to make foods crispier with minimal or no oil. I'm sure the oven would work if you don't have one, though I have yet to try that. If you do, I suggest adding at least another 10 minutes - probably longer - to achieve similar results.
Note: The cook time is based on adding the chickpeas to the air fryer when first setting the heat, allowing them to heat up with the machine.
These should keep for a good week in your fridge.
Air Fryer Crispy Chickpeas, Oil-free
- 1 ½ cups chickpeas or one 15 oz can
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Stir all the ingredients together in a small bowl, then spread evenly on an air fryer tray and place in the air fryer.
- Turn the machine on to "air fry" at 400 degrees for 8 minutes, allowing the chickpeas to heat with the oven.
- After they're done cooking, check to make sure the chickpeas are crispy. They may need to sit a few minutes to firm up. If you'd like them crispier, air fry another minute or two and check them until you achieve the desired crispiness.