an epic vegan burger
This is the epic vegan burger recipe from Dustin Harder’s new cookbook, Epic Vegan: Wild and Over-the-Top Plant-based Recipes. It's the Bacon Macaroni and Cheese BBQ Blue Burger and it is meatless, dairy-free, vegan, gluten-free, and over-the-top delicious! Six recipes come together to make this epic burger! Links to all can be found below.
recipe 7 of 7: the bacon mac & cheese bbq blue burger!
Cue the drumroll! We’ve arrived at our final post in the Epic Recipe series of recipes from Dustin Harder’s soon-to-be-released cookbook, Epic Vegan. Woo hoo! It’s epic burger time!
This recipe is based on having all the ingredients ready to go and is really all about the assembly, with all six recipes involved made in advance. I typically make everything but the pasta shells and burgers in advance, so that the hot stuff is hot and it’s not too much work to put together at one time. I really don’t recommend trying to make all the recipes the same day unless you’d really like some hours in the kitchen. I’ve provided time estimates below for both of the above easier options.
It’s fun serving these epic burgers and watching people’s faces as they receive them. And then watching them try to eat them! The flavor combination is so worth the effort. Get messy and enjoy!
all seven recipes
- Hemp Parmesan
- Easy Creamy Shells & Cheese
- Quinoa Bacon Bits
- Red BBQ Sauce
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- All American Burger
- Bacon Macaroni & Cheese BBQ Blue Burger
Bacon Macaroni and Cheese BBQ Blue Burger Recipe
- 2 cups Easy Creamy Shells and Cheese page 16, or store-bought boxed vegan macaroni and cheese, hot
- ½ cup Quinoa Bacon Bits page 14
- ½ cup Hemp Parmesan page 14
- 1 cup romaine lettuce 55 g, roughly chopped
- 8 vegan hamburger bun bottoms toasted (see Tip, page 94)
- 4 All-American Burgers page 18, or store-bought vegan burgers, cooked
- ¼ cup Blue Cheese Dressing page 42 or store-bought vegan blue cheese dressing
- 8 slices tomato
- 8 slices red onion
- 8 strips vegan bacon cooked (optional)
- 12 pickle chips
- ¼ cup Red BBQ Sauce page 48, or store-bought BBQ sauce
- 4 vegan hamburger bun tops toasted
- In a medium bowl, combine the shells and cheese with the bacon bits and hemp parmesan until they are well distributed; set aside.
- Place ¼ cup (about 14 g) lettuce on a bottom bun, top with 1 burger, ¼ of the blue cheese, 2 slices tomato, and 2 slices onion. Top with a second bottom bun and add 2 strips bacon (if using) and 3 pickle chips. Top with ½ cup (110 g) shells mixture and 1 tablespoon (15 ml) BBQ sauce, followed by a top bun.
- For an epic presentation, plunge a steak knife into the middle of the burger.