A savory vegan sour cream that is oil-free and easy to make, featuring just four very basic ingredients you likely have in your pantry. A wonderful topping for potatoes, soups, chili, whatever you like sour cream on!
This simple sour cream is so handy, delicious on savory dishes with its rich flavor and texture. No need to run to the grocery store, where you're unlikely to find a sour cream like this one with just three pantry ingredients beyond water and salt.
Just a few simple ingredients creates such a rich sauce!
Cashews: They are so wonderful for sauces like this because they are pretty neutral in flavor while being so rich and creamy. Plus, when blended their color is similar to sour cream.
Lemon juice: The lovely fruity brightness of lemon juice provides a nice amount of sour to this sour cream.
Apple cider vinegar: The sour note in rounded out with just a little vinegar added.
Filtered water: Nothing fancy or creamy needed to make this sour cream creamy - you just need water.
Salt: A bit of salt brings out the flavor.
See recipe card for quantities.
I recommend a strong blender so that it can break down the softened cashews to be completely smooth and creamy.
Once you've soaked your cashews a couple hours (or boiled them until softened) and strained them, it's just a matter of blending the ingredients until creamy. That's it!
Combine all of the ingredients, including the prepared cashews, in a blender.
Blend, easing up to high, until smooth and creamy.
Place the sour cream in a container and keep it in the fridge for up to a few days.
Store the sour cream in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a few days.
I have not tried freezing this yet. If you do, let me know how it goes!
Tip: Plan your meals for the next few days with this sour cream in mind. Maybe a nice soup or burritos or baked potatoes with steamed broccoli - well, now I'm hungry!
Yes, you can cover the cashews with water in a pot and simmer for 20 minutes to soften them instead of soaking them for a couple hours. If you skip trying to soften them, the sour cream will likely be less smooth and creamy.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with sour cream:
Vegan Sour Cream
- strong blender preferably high-speed
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ⅛ teaspoon salt or to taste
- Soak the cashews in filtered water for at least two hours to soften. Alternatively, you can bring them to a boil and then simmer for 15-20 minutes, until they look swollen and softened.
- Place all the ingredients, including the soaked cashews, into a strong blender and blend on high for several seconds, until the mixture is very smooth and creamy.
general food safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands and ingredients well before using
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove